557 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+17 more
theMOLITOR says

I broke down and wrote my own terms & conditions for my support forum. Feel free to borrow or add some suggestions. My hope is that all authors will acquire similar T&Cs so buyers have better/accurate expectations from authors.

SUPPORT TERMS & CONDITIONS : These forums are intended to provide assistance to buyers who experience issues, but please keep in mind that themes purchased from ThemeForest are provided “as-is” with no guarantee of support (as stated in ThemeForest terms & conditions [link to page]). If we determine the issues are caused by user error or are the result of a plugin, we will ask that you retrace your edits or contact the developer of the plugin you’re using. Additionally, themes purchased through a bundle promotion on ThemeForest are not eligible for support or updates (as stated in the bundle item description). For customizations, unless it is something we know off the top of our head or is something we can quickly look up and research, we’ll have to ask that you use this customization request form [link to page]. Thanks!

3430 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

+1, I have some similar terms featured prominently on my support forum. I think it’s definitely a good thing to be up front, and having this type of information on the site helps to appropriately manage customer expectations.

557 posts
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+17 more
theMOLITOR says

@sevespark provided they actually read it ;-)

3430 posts
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Haha yes, well that’s the trick, now isn’t it ;) Unfortunately, the customers who aren’t willing to read the support guide are unlikely to read the terms of service either :( But at least it’s something to point them to when the policy is challenged.

I’ve been resorting to placing important information in bright yellow boxes at the top of every forum post, as well as on the topic creation screen, and it still gets ignored about 40% of the time. Frustrating.

EDIT : Sorry, don’t mean to derail the conversation. I think we should all adopt similar terms as much as possible to keep things consistent, and to keep expectations reasonable.

1677 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+4 more
dnp_theme says

I think we should also provide info regarding license & copyright.

328 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
CLINE123 says

@sevespark provided they actually read it ;-)
sevenspark is right that it’s something to point to if challenged. I myself have never read any. Fortunately for me I’ve always asked very nicely and authors here have been really great to me.
2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+8 more
jonathan01 says

This still has to come back to the point that there is no uniform support methods in place on themeforest – authors having to use separate forums on different sites for different products also doesn’t help – it’s a mess, we all know it, have for years and still nothing from Envato – if it was hosted here on the marketplaces then it would be uniform across all products and authors and would surely highlight the terms and conditions greatly.

Although I agree that in it’s current state this offering and sharing is as good as it gets – I for one do not offer a forum – I created one ready last year and decided because of the complexity of getting buyers to register with purchase codes and off-site access etc it was not an experience I would want as a buyer so why make my buyers do this.

I simply direct buyers to my profile page and contact form and deal direct one-on-one with them and it’s worked fairly well – still get the odd request along the lines of “my client likes it but wants different colors, typeface, portfolio changing and some other crap not included – so before I rate your theme 1 star for not matching what my client wants I thought it ‘fair’ to ask you to make the changes for me” – but we have all received those ;)

Jonathan

1028 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says

I spent an afternoon writing out support terms a month or so ago, as well. It has made life way easier. Yes, people don’t really read them initially, but it’s so nice for me to have something to link to in many cases. If anyone wants to check them out, as well, they’re here: http://themeblvd.com/support/ ... A lot of ideas from mine came from TF author Maximum’s terms I found on his site.

3221 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

yup Ive been saying all authors should do this for a while… it prevents the “but this author did it for me why don’t you, there are no terms” you can simple link them to it and say its stated multiple places and it’ll drop issues before they even come up :-)

154 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
MNKY says

Took your text as a base for our forum terms, thaks for sharing! :)

by
by
by
by
by
by