I thought I’d stop in and report on how PhotoDune is going, after I did a thread like this on VideoHive and people seemed to like it
Things Going Well
- Sales are climbing, our first month out of private beta saw sales increase more than double, from 1700 sales to 4200 sales for the month. Small still, but a good trajectory!
- We’ve passed 150 authors with approved items on the site, you can see the list ordered by sales here: http://photodune.net/author/top_authors – Yuri is still dominating, that guy is a machine!
- The library has been growing by about 750 a day which in the wider world of microstock is not much, but for us just starting is lots!
- We had some performance problems in the upload queue, but after a lot of hard work, we seem to have solved them making uploads much smoother
- We hit 750,000 pageviews last month, almost double the prior month!
- Search traffic is zooming upwards with 2000 visits a day flowing in already
Things We Need to Work On
- Interestingly extended license sales are super tiny, despite the low pricing. This is interesting because the main driver of the low pricing is higher sales, so as I mentioned above this will go into our retro discussions when we hit the first quarter mark
- We’re learning fast about how fast items pile up for review Right now our review queue sits at about 5000 with 2000 being processed per day, meaning an average of about 2.5 working days to get a file approved. This is pretty so-so and we’re working to improve this!
- We have a bunch of search and interface improvements that are still slowly rolling out. Of course this is something that will continue to the end of time really
And finally we’re starting to ramp up our marketing push slowly but surely, so I hope I’ll be able to stop in next month and report more neat stats!
Excellent, thanks for the heads up. Seems to be slowly getting there.
Cant say how much I appreciate being kept in the loop by a stock site. It creates a very nice feel and a desire to keep working together if things stay that way. Great to hear of the vast improvements recently too in terms of sales etc. Keep up the good work PhotoDune!
Thank you for reporting this statistic! It is a good way to keep us motivated.
Great to hear guys!
We have our work cut out for us, but I’m feeling really good about the results so far. I’m sure the other stock sites still look at us like a tiny ant though But it’s good to be small, small and nimble!
Going to create and upload my picture collection soon…..
Wonderful post, it really comes handy for some of us who don’t know whether to focus on Photodune only for stock shots. I’m hoping that in short time, we’ll be seen as heavy competition to fotolia and istock. Once there, things will rock!
This is great news. I have always been demanding a Evato Photo Stock Market Place and here it is. With growing sales I am sure we will be heading hills against tough competition with iStock and Fotolia and other photography stock sites.
I am seeing more promise from PD than from MANY other sites that are larger and more established. You guys have my full support – thanks for being so good to deal with and actually making sales!