• Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
Artorius says

Although there is an item in question here, the purpose of this thread is to make some light over this kind of situation which has happened to me and probably to others.

I had uploaded an item which was rejected and after a support ticket asking for further information, I got the following message from a certain reviewer: “The file has a great start and design concept but the typography is lacking, work a bit more on it, think about the typeface selection and visual hierarchy.”

After more work put into it, the flyer got rejected with a message sent from an anonymous reviewer: “Unfortunately, your submission is too similar to existing item(s) in our marketplace. Your upload must be a unique concept not based on any existing marketplace item.”

The file has not been based on any item, nor the reviewer has mentioned any similar item (I haven’t seen any). The look of the item has changed little, with more emphasize on typography.

As an experienced Top 10 GraphicRiver author, I believe this kind of inconsistencies reveal the lack of professionalism from this reviewer.

Any information, suggestions?

3520 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+2 more
ToivoMedia says

I think the problem is the reviewers don’t have enough time to deal with each item. Sometimes it would be useful to give authors a bit more information. In your example, if they had told you your item needed to be more unique, you wouldn’t have ended up working on it more and then getting it rejected. Other than that I think the reviewers do a good job.

435 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Romania
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
studio_21 says

Call it bad luck , or the reviewer had a bad day ? :))

586 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
grandelelo says

And sometimes you get things like:

Soft reset: your item needs a typographi work, you fix it. Soft reset again: also the back grond looks a bit old.

It helps your Item to get better but… the reviewers have 2-days / one week to see what your item needs,, they could colect all the changes and tell you at once.

thanks!

1255 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
harmonikas996 says

Same thing here.

I make business card design. And it is unique, but i got message, that my iteam was rejected because is not unique.

O.o

226 posts
  • Exclusive Author
martinjamez says

now i am used with it, now a days very rarely my items will get approved for sale :P

7 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Romania
Briell says

I have the same issue

I’m new in this community. I started sending works since October and 3 items have been rejected consecutive all with the same answer. Your submission is too similar to existing item(s) in our marketplace. Your upload must be a unique concept not based on any existing marketplace item.”

It makes me a bit frustrated. It is not possible to give me more details or at least a link with the similar items?

I am ready to learn new stuff and rectify where necessary.

I ‘ll keep carry on sending new items. :)

189 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
+6 more
Crusader12 Reviewer says

Reviewers deal with a large number of submissions on a daily basis, and it can sometimes be difficult to provide excellent and detailed feedback on every single item submitted. We do our best to provide solid and helpful feedback when we can – TovioMedia hit it right on. If your item was rejected because it is too similar to another item on the marketplace then… it probably is. Try searching the marketplace for similar items.

63 posts
  • Canada
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
Xiox says

Every item I have ever submitted has been rejected at least once before finally being accepted. I feel the same way as Artorious, rejections are often quite inconsistent. For example, I submitted 2 items at the same time, both had the exact same file layout, both of the were rejected the first time saying that my screenshots were not named properly, so I checked the files and they were named as they are supposed to be, so I submitted again without changing anything on both of the items. One was accepted while the other one was rejected once again for the same reason, so again I checked the files and they are both exactly the same, in fact I copy and pasted the files from one to the other, I submitted that item again with no changes and it was rejected again saying that it didn’t meet the standards of GraphicRiver… I made no change and it was accepted.

I have this kind of problem with most, if not all of my items.

339 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • United States
kevinhamil says

I have only been here for a short time, but I agree with Artorius that I would love to see a considerable amount of attention devoted to devising a strategy that would improve the consistency between reviewers decisions. I have no doubt that the reviewers are swamped with files to look through, but maybe there’s a way their decisions can be better backed by ‘law’ rather than having to rely on opinion as much.

As a specific example, I had a wood text style set I worked on that I felt was different from existing ones. It was rejected due to being too similar to other existing items… no big deal, I’ll work hard and smarter.. that part wasn’t a problem for me. I was urked when I did a search for ‘wood text style’ and it returned 5 pages of results… BUT THEN, I did a search for ‘metal text style’ and it returned 19 pages of results.

I’m not saying my reviewer was wrong, I can understand his decision.. but I feel like I see at least one new metal text style each week.. and they usually all look ‘too similar’ to existing ones. So I agree that there shouldn’t be too many of similar items… I think it just needs to happen better and more consistently across the market.

I am only speaking from my one experience and can’t truly speak in regards to the entire market place… but that’s just my two cents.

by
by
by
by
by
by